How to Calculate Keto Macros for Weight Loss & Bodybuilding?

When you’re following the ketogenic diet for weight loss, it is highly important to stay in ketosis as much as possible as it is the ultimate goal for anyone who’s trying to lose weight successfully.

And, in order to continuously stay in ketosis, it is important to track your macronutrients as they could impact our ketone levels in different ways.

Say for example,

  • Fats are 90% ketogenic, while the rest 10% are non-ketogenic as they contain small amounts of glucose that get released in the conversion process of triglycerides.
  • Proteins are 46% ketogenic and 54% non-ketogenic, because some amino acids after eating will rise the insulin levels.
  • Carbohydrates or carbs are 100% non-ketogenic as they raise both insulin and blood glucose levels, which could hinder your ketone production, thereby slow down your fat burning mechanism.

And, it is the reason why it is highly suggested to increase your fat percentage, lower your carb intake and have protein in moderate quantity, in order to stay in ketosis for longer periods.

How to Calculate Macros on Keto for Weight Loss?

Ideal Macros for Ketogenic Diet

As a thumb rule, aim for 75% Fat, 20% Protein and 5% Carbs for efficient weight loss results.

To calculate the exact macros, including the calories you should eat per day to lose weight, use the Keto calculator from

How to Calculate Keto Macros for Muscle Gain?

If you’re trying to build muscle mass on a ketogenic diet but don’t have any weight loss goals, then you should aim to get adequate amount of protein based on your activity levels.

And, in such case, you should adjust your macros (fat & protein) accordingly, leaving carbs percentage the same.

Below is how much protein you’ll need for muscle building.

  • Sedentary (Desk Job): 0.8 grams of protein per pound
  • Lightly Active (Exercise 2 to 3 Times per week): 0.8 to 1 gram of protein per pound
  • Highly Active (Athlete): 1 to 1.2 grams of protein per pound

As a thumb rule, aim for 65% Fat, 30% Protein and 5% Carbs for efficient muscle gain.

Hope, you understood how to measure ideal keto macros for weight loss and body building. Ketogenic diet is not just a weight loss program. It is a healthy lifestyle routine that can be continued for life for overall well-being.

Leave a Comment