Indian Ketogenic Diet Plan is one of the highly trending diet plans these days, especially in South India (thanks to Veeramachaneni Ramakrishna from Andhra Pradesh who made it understandable even to a common housewife) as it helps in getting safe & fast weight loss results.
Although, people in the western countries are used to the Keto diet routine, most Indians still are unsure about how to follow a ketogenic lifestyle, mainly due to less vegetarian keto options.
If you’re one of those people, then don’t worry! We’re here to help you pick the best low carb foods allowed on the Keto Indian diet plan.
P.S: Veeramachaneni’s Diet Plan is also considered a ketogenic diet but it is Indianized to suit the South Indians.
What is a Ketogenic Diet Plan?
Before telling you what a keto diet is, first you should understand the term ‘ketosis’, which plays the most vital role in weight loss.
Ketosis is a state or condition where our body uses ketones instead of glucose for its energy needs. It usually happens when the carb intake is very low, where the body starts producing ketones from fat to lower the insulin levels. These ketone bodies are then used by our body as a source of energy instead of glucose, since it is not available in the body at that moment.
And, when a person enters ketosis state, the fat burn mechanism functions at a high speed and helps in losing weight fast.
So, basically, we’re providing the body all the proteins and nutrition it needed to keep the vital functions running, while losing weight due to less supply carbohydrates.
In simple terms, we’re eating foods that are high in protein and fat but low in carbohydrates.
Having said that, you can’t just go and eat all the proteins and think of losing weight as excess protein intake also leads to spike in glucose levels.
So, here is a recommended healthy ratio for serious fat loss.
Fat = 75% | Protein = 20% | Carbohydrates = 5%
Indian Keto Diet Plan for Vegetarians & Non-Vegetarians
Note: Use only the recommended oils for cooking – Coconut Oil, Olive Oil, Butter, Ghee, Avocado Oil, Flaxseed Oil
Sample Ketogenic Meal Plan Indian Version
We’ve provided multiple Keto meal plans for both vegetarians and non-vegetarians. Choose the one based on your personal preference.
Breakfast Options: Pick 1
- Bullet coffee (coffee/tea mixed with coconut oil, cream and butter mix)
- 10 Soaked Almonds + 1 tbsp Sunflower Seeds + 1 tbsp Flax Seeds
- 5 Walnuts + 10 Almonds + 5 Pistachios
- Whey Protein Shake with water
- Strawberry Smoothie, Tofu (Soy Paneer) & Cheese Pakora
- Omelette with 2-3 Eggs and Cheese (non-veg)
- Scrambled Eggs with Cheese, Capsicum, Cabbage etc… (non-veg)
- Paneer Bhurji with Vegetables and Cheese
- Keto Almond bread with Cheese – (recipe)
Lunch Options: Pick 1
- Spinach Soup with Mushrooms and a dab of White Butter
- Butter Chicken + Veggies (allowed) – (non-veg) – (recipe)
- Boiled Chicken & Vegetable Salad stir fried in olive oil and butter (non-veg)
- Cauliflower rice pulao (with egg/paneer/chicken/fish/prawns) – (non-veg) – (recipe video)
- Spiced, Fried Paneer Pakora
- Naans using Almond Flour + Flaxseed with Paneer Butter Masala
- Lemon Chicken Curry with Cauliflower Rice (non-veg)
- Stir Fried Lady Finger with Peanuts – (recipe)
- Keto Pav Bhaji – (Recipe video)
Dinner Options: Pick 1
- Keto Egg Masala – (non-veg) (recipe video)
- Stir Fried Chicken & Vegetable Salad (non-veg)
- Stir Fried Paneer & Veg Salad
- Baked Spinach with Cheese and Cream
- Stir Fried Mutton with Cauliflower Rice (non-veg)
- Cream of Mushroom + Veg Salad (Stir Fried)
- Chicken in Pesto Sauce with paneer and spinach leaves stir fried in olive oil (non-veg)
- Chilli Paneer with Vegetables
- Chicken Barbecue with Spinach and Cheese (non-veg)
- Spinach Egg Omelette with lots of Cheese (non-veg)
- Stir fried Veggies with spices and cream dressing
- Almond flour Pancakes
- Mutton keema curry with cauliflower rice (non-veg) – (recipe link)
- Bullet Coffee (Coffee / tea mixed with coconut oil , cream and butter)
- Black tea / lemon tea / peach tea (without sugar)
- Black coffee (without milk & sugar)
- Green tea (without sugar)
- Lemon water (without sugar)
- Lots and lots of water
Foods Allowed on the Indian Keto Diet Plan
Below is a list of Indian foods that are allowed on the Ketogenic diet lifestyle.
- Seafoods – Tuna, Shrimp, Salmon, Sardines & all sea food
- Vegetables – Cabbage, Broccoli, Cauliflower, Onions, Spinach, Tomatoes, Cucumber, Bell Peppers, Mushrooms, Eggplant, Lady Finger and all low carb veggies
- Meat & Poultry – Chicken, Eggs, Bacon, Beef, Pork
- Dairy – Greek Yogurt, Paneer, Butter, Mozzarella, Heavy Cream, Butter, Mayonnaise
- Fruits – Strawberries, Blackberries, Raspberries, Avocado, Olives
- Nuts & Seeds – Almonds, Walnuts, Peanuts, Chia Seeds, Coconut, Pistachios, Flax Seeds, Sunflower Seeds etc..
- Healthy Fats – Coconut Oil, Olive Oil, Avocado Oil, Flaxseed oil
- Herbs & Spices – salt, pepper, ginger, garlic, cinnamon, mustard and oregano
Foods to Avoid While on the Indian Ketogenic Diet
Apart from the foods mentioned above, you should stay away from all the other foods, especially those listed below to stay in Ketosis state and yield better weight loss results.
- All Grains – Wheat, Oats, Corn, Pasta, Bread etc…
- No Sugar & Sweets – Instead use Stevia
- Processed Foods – Everything that is canned
- Alcoholic Beverages – No booze
- All other kinds of fruits – Fructose also raised insulin; try to avoid them while on keto
- Milk – At least while on the Keto routine; milk by-products are fine
- Refined Fats and oils – Only use those oils that are allowed
- Factory-farmed fish and meat – try to get only organic meat
If you’re serious about losing weight on the Indian Ketogenic diet chart, then you should strictly avoid the foods that are not allowed on the diet and stick to the ones that are allowed.
Another important thing that you should remember is that you should not exceed the number of carbs to no more than 50 grams per day in order to stay in the Ketosis state, else you’ll automatically be kicked out of Ketosis and won’t gain any results.
Hope you understood the concept of Keto diet for weight loss and we wish you all the best 🙂