When it comes to Ketogenic diet for vegetarians, the main issue comes with the choice of low carb vegetarian foods. Unlike the meat based diets, the vegetarian diets contain more carbs and less fat, which is actually opposite in case of a keto friendly diet (more fat & less carbs).
So, the first question comes to anyone is whether the vegetarian keto diet is possible or not?
Fortunately, there are some foods that are low in carbs & high in fat content and suit the ketogenic lifestyle.
So, in this article, let us find the different vegetarian keto food options along with a sample 7 day meal plan.
List of Vegetarian Foods Not Allowed on a Keto Diet
Foods that are heavily process usually contain bad carbs. They are quickly turned into sugar (aka glucose) and then released into the bloodstream causing sudden insulin spike, which is not good for weight loss.
So, it is highly advised to eliminate such bad carbs from your diet.
- Potatoes, Yams, Sweet Potatoes, Corn, and Carrots
- Fruit Juices
- White Pasta, White Rice & White Bread
- Low-Fiber, Sugar-Added Cereals
- Non-Diet Sodas
- Chips & Crackers
- Starchy Vegetables
- All Packaged foods with refined sugars or flours
List of Vegetarian Keto Friendly Foods
Make sure that you stock your kitchen with all these foods that contain good, low carbs as they’re ideal for a ketogenic dieter.
- Whole Grain Bread – Made without sugar
- Low Carb Vegetables – Spinach, Kale, Lettuce, Asparagus, Green Beans, Cucumber, Collard Greens, Swiss Chard, Broccoli, Red/White Cabbage, Winter Squash, Cauliflower, Bell Peppers, Eggplants, Onions, Mushrooms
- Low Carb Fruits – Blackberries, Raspberries, Strawberries and Blueberries (Avoid all other fruits as they’re usually high in sugar and carbs)
- Condiments – Soy sauce, Yellow mustard, Soy Mayonnaise, Sugar-free ketchup, Sauerkraut
- Spices – Parsley, Rosemary, Cilantro, Cayenne Pepper, Basil, Chili powder, Cumin, Cinnamon, Oregano, Thyme, Nutmeg, Lemon, Ginger, Garlic, Pepper and Salt
- Vegetarian Proteins – Dairy, Tempeh, Paneer (Indian Cheese), Natto, Miso, Eggs, Nuts and Seeds (see below)
- Soy Products – Choose only the non-GMO and fermented products.
- Nuts and Seeds – Walnuts, Coconut (unsweetened), Pine nuts, Almonds, Pecans, Hazel nuts, Macadamia nuts, Brazil nuts, Chia seeds, Flax seeds, All butters made from the listed nuts.
- Healthy Oils & Non-Dairy Fat Sources – Olive oil (olives), Avocado oil (avocados), Macadamia oil, Coconut oil (coconut cream) Flaxseed oil, MCT oil and Cocoa butter.
- Dairy and Eggs – Cottage Cheese, Mayonnaise, Butter, Unsweetened Yogurt (full-fat), Parmesan, feta and cheddar cheese, Eggs (pastured or free-range)
- Assorted Vinegars – Apple Cider Vinegar, Red Wine Vinegar, Balsamic Vinegar)
- Protein Supplements – Soy Protein Powder & Vegetarian Protein Powder
- Popcorn – Air fried
- Beans and Legumes – In moderation
Although, some of the vegetables and fruits are high in nutrition, you should remember that they too contain some carbs. So, always ensure that you eat them in limited quantities.
Vegetarian Ketogenic Diet Menu (7 Day Sample Meal Plan)
Please choose any of the provided meal options per day. This is just a sample meal plan and you can mix & match the meals according to your suitability.
Low Carb Breakfast Options
- Oatmeal with fruit
- Scrambled Tofu
- Tofu and Strawberry Smoothie
- High-fiber Cereal with fruit
- Coffee and Chocolate Smoothie (Use Splenda if you’ve a sweet tooth; Avoid sugar at all cost)
- Vegetable and feta omelet fried using olive/coconut oil
Keto Friendly Lunch Ideas
- Black bean soup with a bowl of vegetable salad (more greens)
- Lentil soup along with a bowl of fried vegetables of your choice (Use olive oil or coconut oil)
- Egg and Avocado Salad
- Tempeh and Vegetable Salad
- Tofu and Vegetable Salad
- Stir-fried cauliflower rice with veggies
Keto Diet Snack Options
- Apple and Zucchini Cake
- Roasted Eggplant Dip with crackers (made from whole grains)
- No-Crust Apple Crumb Pie
- Chocolate Silk Pie with Almond Crust
- Blueberry Soy Cheesecake with Granola Crust
- Mushrooms stuffed with Spinach and Pine Nuts
- Cucumber Slices with Mushroom and Olive Tapenade
- Walnut and Fudge Truffles
Ketosis Diet Dinner Ideas
- Portobello steak with Kale salad & cauliflower mashed potatoes
- Black bean & sesame-stuffed mushrooms with a bowl of veg salad
- Roasted eggplant lasagna with spinach pesto
- Spinach pie with walnut crust & green salad
- Pasta with zucchini noodles & keto alfredo sauce
- Cheese pizza with broccoli and cauliflower crust
So, this is what you should be eating on a Vegetarian Ketogenic Diet Plan for weight loss.